NPR One is the new audio app that connects you to a stream of public radio news and stories curated for you. Informing, engaging, inspiring and surprising. From the ends of the earth to the tiniest corners of your city.
In Aesop’s fable about the crow and the pitcher, a thirsty bird happens upon a vessel of water, but when he tries to drink from it, he finds the water level out of his reach. Not strong enough to knock over the pitcher, the bird drops pebbles into it — one at a time — until the water level rises enough for him to drink his fill. New research demonstrates the birds’ intellectual prowess may be more fact than fiction.
Forty years ago Lyme Disease didn’t even have a name. Today, the tick-borne disease infects up to 300,000 people each year and has greatly expanded its range beyond the small Connecticut town where it was first identified in 1975. While the data doesn’t go that far back, the numbers from the last 15 years paint a disconcerting picture of a disease on the rise.
The story of the growth of Lyme Disease is really the story of the deer tick, the primary vector for the disease and the beneficiary of a warming climate and increasingly fragmented forests. Where the deer tick and its small mammal hosts are found, so too is Lyme Disease.
"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."
Tumblr got the important part.
Hit shuffle on your music player and list the first 10 songs that play, no skipping.
Now, I’ve got oh-so-many (it’s a real number, between “alot of” and “too many”) music players, so I’m gonna cheat and do this a couple of times.
I listen to Google Music at work:
- Sophie by Goodshirt
- Home, Land & Sea by Trinity Roots
- Our World by The Woolshed Sessions
- Guaranteed Defective by Sheep, Dog & Wolf
- Dickheads Abound by The Phoenix Foundation
- Nothing, Probably, by Sheep, Dog & Wolf
- One Step at a Time by The Black Seeds
- Finest Wine by Six60
- Endless Summer by Still Corners
- Just Like You by Trinity Roots
Zune’s up next at home:
- Redneck Friend by Jackson Browne
- Auckland City Song by The Eversons
- Short Skirt/Long Jacket by Cake
- Transmission Central by Fi, Rockers Hi
- Tears of Rage by Bob Dylan and The Band
- Sleazy Bed Track by The Bluetones
- Faht by Phish
- The Bagman’s Gambit by The Decemberists
- Young and Innocent Days by The Kinks
- Helen Wheels by Wings
I also listen to music on my phone:
- Miles Davis & The Cool by The Gaslight Anthem
- Cornbag Rides Again by Head Like A Hole
- I’m Lonely (But I Ain’t That Lonely Yet) by The White Stripes
- Friends by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant
- Holiday by Weezer
- The Year Before The Year 2000 by Les Savy Fav
- Four Sticks by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant
- There Rose A Flood by Bannerman
- Meet Me By The River’s Edge by The Gaslight Anthem
- From the Sun by Unknown Mortal Orchestra
There’s a radio station (which is like shuffle) in New Zealand I listen to with VLC:
- Beast by Aldous Harding
- Alone In My Home by Jack White
- Summer Noon by Tweedy
- Two Weeks by FKA Twigs
- NY Is Killing Me by Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie xx
- The World Is Yours by Nas
- Her Heart Breaks Like A Wave by Dictaphone Blues
- Lazy Eys by Sakawa Boys
- Trippy Gum by Deers
- Margo by Minks
Tag ten people to pass it on.